Hello, and welcome to Distant Horizon
's 10th annual Avatar Pumpkin Carving Competition!
This is where you can see Avatar-themed pumpkins, send in your own, and vote for your favorites!
Last Updated: November 17, 2014
are in! Congratulations to winners Jade/Musogato, Philip, DietCheesePlease,
and the rest who made the Top 15!
As mentioned in the FAQ
, because my entry got in the top 4, my prize will go to the 5th place winner, Matt B.
Many thanks to everyone who entered, and all who voted!
The contest is over for now, but it'll be back next year. Hope to see you there! =)
Prizes for this year include a Four Elements slouchy hat,
an Earth Kingdom scarf, and crochet keychains of Aang and Korra!
Overview Rules How to Enter Prizes Help/FAQ, Links
2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
This competition is just a fun way to bring together Avatar-related carved pumpkins, and the people who made them. There is no fee to enter, and there is no age, geography, or skill level limit in order to participate. All I ask is that your pumpkin be Avatar: The Last Airbender or The Legend of Korra themed. ^_^
Throughout the month of October people can send in photos of their carved pumpkin. Everyone is allowed to enter up to 2 pumpkins each, and submissions close at midnight on the first weekend of November.
The voting will begin on the following Monday after the submissions end and will stay open for two full weeks. Everyone is allowed to vote once for their top 5 favorites. These votes will determine the top 15 winners, and out of those 15, the top 4 + "mod's choice" will win a prize if available. These winners will be announced on the following Monday both by email, and the announcement on this page and at Distant Horizon.
You can discuss the Avatar pumpkins and more at the Distant Horizon Forum!
- Has to be Avatar: The Last Airbender or The Legend of Korra related. Related universe characters like from the TCG and comics are fine too. Also, make sure the carving is viewable for all ages.
- Submit your pumpkin photo before 10:00pm of the deadline. (Pacific Standard Time)
- Everyone from any country is allowed to enter up to 2 pumpkin carvings each, but they'll be voted on together.
- Using foam pumpkins or other carve-able veggies like watermelons and squashes are acceptable.
- Entries must be physically carved. Photoshopped images or using decorations like paper or paint will not be posted.
- Submitters must be involved in their pumpkin's carving. Help from family/friends is fine, but don't submit a pumpkin if you didn't help make it.
- You can vote for your five (5) favorite pumpkins when the polls are open. (In November)
- You may vote for yourself. (If you entered)
- You may not vote for the same pumpkin multiple times. (This includes sending it one vote at a time)
How To Enter
- Get a pumpkin! (other carve-able veggies count too)
- Carve something Avatar: The Last Airbender or Legend of Korra related into it.
- Put a candle/lightbulb in it to make it glow.
- Take a (digital) photo of it and E-MAIL it to me!
- (Please include your name or alias and pumpkin's title. Please keep titles under 60 characters in length.)
NOTE: Submissions are closed, and will stay that way until October.
At the end of the voting, the top 15 winners will be announced and their pumpkin photos will be on display forever. All winners will be notified by email, and the winning results will be mentioned at Distant Horizon.
Out of those 15, the top 4 + "mod's choice" can request a prize from the group below, then work out the details with me or the provider of that prize.
Prizes for 2014:
- One of the Four Elements crocheted slouchy hat, made by Reynalyn! (example photo)
- An Earth Kingdom crocheted scarf, made by Reynalyn! (example photo)
- A small crocheted Avatar Aang keychain, made by Jade! (two available, example photo)
- A small crocheted Avatar Korra keychain, made by Jade! (two available, example photo)
The "Mod's Choice" winner can choose:
Since I liked your carving enough to give it the 'mod's choice,' I'll make your prize myself. :)
- A small crochet keychain of an ATLA/LOK character or animal of their choosing, made by Jade.
Q: Will there be another Avatar pumpkin carving contest?
A: Yes; Distant Horizon will hold this contest every year during October, and the voting in November.
Q: How do we vote? And when?
A: There will be a poll that will be available to the public during the voting time, and the link to it will be near the top of every page on this site.
On the poll will list all of the entries' names and pumpkin subjects, and you will be asked to type in the names of your top 5 favorites. If you vote for more than 5, the 6+ will NOT be counted. Same for if you vote repeatedly for the same pumpkin. The voters' IP addresses are recorded to help weed out cheating, but that information is deleted as soon as the voting is over.
Voting will take place during the first two weeks of November.
Q: As long as the participant carved it, is using free patterns allowed?
A: While original carvings are always smiled upon, I personally do not have a problem if participants enter carvings using (Avatar-themed) publicly available patterns/stencils. (This does NOT mean copying previously entered contest pumpkin carvings.) Unless the original pattern maker objects to using their design for contest purposes, or 5+ people enter the same carving design, I will allow stencil designs. Be warned though, by using a familiar pattern, if other participants use it too there will be more scrutiny on those designs to see who carved it best.
Q: Hey wait... why is Jade (the contest host) allowed to enter her own contest?
A: Because carving pumpkins is fun and I resent not being allowed to enter. :P I really like this contest a lot, and it's so much more enjoyable to be involved in the participation than just updating the site and keeping track of votes. Though if ever my entry makes it into the top 4, my prize will be passed to the next winner in line to keep things fair.
Q: How come there have been pumpkin entries that haven't been carved?
A: Because Jade has a hard time saying "no" to entries that have had a lot of time and effort put into decorating them. But this *is* a carving competition, so for year 4 and up Jade will be sure to fully enforce the rules. >>
If you have any questions about this competition, you can email me here.
You can also discuss the Avatar pumpkins and more at the Distant Horizon Forum!
Has it been a while since you last carved a pumpkin? Not quite sure what you should do? Then fear not! I have found some awesome links for you. =D
Walt's Pumpkin Carving Secrets is an excellent guide for every step in carving a pumpkin, from cleaning it to preserving it and more. I suggest that everyone take a look at this page, unless you're a master pumpkin carver. You probably already know all of this then. ^^;
Walt's Pumpkin Carving Secrets: Making Patterns is also extremely helpful, especially if you are going to make an Avatar pattern and aren't quite sure how to do it.
PumpkinGlow.com's Art Gallery has tons of beautifully carved pumpkins in all types of themes. This is a great place to see how the intricate carvings work, and maybe help you decide how to carve your own pumpkin! :)
Stoneykins.com Patterns & Carving Guide has a ton of amazing-looking intricate patterns and a step-by-step carving guide. Another great site to see how patterns work!
You can also link back to this website if you like!
We have a small 88x31 banner, as well as a large banner made by the estimable AlternateCoppa. :)
You can link these images to: http://musogato.com/avatar/apcc/
Overview Rules How to Enter Prizes Help/FAQ
2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Avatar: The Last Airbender is copyrighted by Nickelodeon and Viacom International, 2005. No profit is being made from this site or this competition; it's just some fun for the Avatar fans.