Welcome to Distant Horizon!
A fansite for Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra.
Please note, there are many spoilers throughout the site.
I am Jade
, and I maintain this site.
The Search: Part One graphic novel on sale now!
(this site is on hiatus until Korra season 2 starts)
11/19/12: The results are in for the Pumpkin Contest! Congratulations to Kaitlin, Supereileen, Michelle, Bre, and Mod's Choice winner Simon! Thank you to everyone who entered and voted; hope you had fun and see you again for next year's contest! :)
11/5/12: Voting has begun for DH's Avatar Pumpkin Carving Contest! We have 15 lovely entries, so I hope you will take time to check them out! Voting will stay open for two weeks, so there's plenty of time. The results will be announced on Monday, November 19th. :)
11/1/12: Hope you all had a great Halloween! The Avatar Pumpkin Carving Contest has 10 entries so far, and there's still time to enter! The deadline is this Sunday, as voting will begin on Monday. Prizes for this year include two crochet berets, a Korra amigurumi doll, and digital illustrations. Come check it out! =)
In other news, a release date has been given for the graphic novel The Search: Part One, which will finally tell what happened to Zuko's mom, Ursa! It is listed as April 2, 2013, and you can find it on Amazon.com.
10/5/12: Prizes for the Avatar Pumpkin Carving Contest now include two crochet berets by Reynalyn, which will feature an element of the winner's choosing! Thank you! And remember, the deadline to enter your pumpkin carving is Sunday, November 4th!
10/1/12: Happy October folks! The Avatar Pumpkin Carving Competition is open again for its 8th year! Whether you're a returning contestant or it's your first year, I hope you'll check it out! =)
You can go to the APCC site for more info and view past winners. If you have any questions, or would like to provide a prize for one of the Top 4 winners (fanart, craft, etc), please email me!
The deadline to enter your pumpkin carving photo is:
Sunday, November 4th
8/24/12: Hey guys. Sorry for not posting this sooner, but unless there is news, this site will be on hiatus until October, for the annual Avatar Pumpkin Carving Competition. Hope to see you there!
7/14/12: The San Diego Comic Con was this weekend, and with it a lot of new information for Legend of Korra's Book 2! You can read a detailed report of the panel at
Hollywood.com, and see photos of the new characters, designs, and landscapes at
Owldee's Tumblr. There is also a four-minute animatic preview of where Team Avatar is now, which can be seen on Youtube. There are also close-up photos of posters featuring the new Team Avatar, as well as adult versions of the old Team Avatar, as seen here.
Some highlights for Book 2: Spirits:
It was also recently announced that The Legend of Korra was picked up for 26 more episodes, bringing the total to 52! The Season/Book set-up is a bit confusing though so co-creator Bryan Konietzko broke it down on his Tumblr. Basically, Books 1 (12 episodes) and Book 2 (14 eps) will be Season 1, and Books 3 and 4 (13 eps each) will be Season 2. Still no word of when Book 2 will air, as it is currently being animated.
- Book 2 takes place six months after Book 1, and will explore the Spirit World and how the Avatar lineage began.
Korra will travel into the Spirit World, and it was hinted that there may be episodes later in the season dedicated to exploring the bigger landscape of the Spirit World.
- Team Avatar will be traveling to the Southern Water Tribe, where there will be a festival. The Southern Air Temple will also be visited.
- All of Team Avatar's clothing have been updated; Korra's shirt has a more Mandarin style, Mako and Bolin get new coats, and Asami's outfit colors have been rearranged. She also has flight gear reminiscent of Amelia Earhart, and Tenzin has a new overcoat.
- Mako has joined the Republic police force, Bolin continues Pro-Bending with a new Fire Ferrets team (no Mako or Korra), and Asami is leading Future Industries. No mention of Lin, and Korra is (assumably) still training on Air Temple Island.
- Korra's expanded family will be introduced, including an uncle (paternal), and twin cousins. We'll learn more about Korra's parents as well.
- Tenzin's brother Bumi will be a regular cast member, as will their sister Kya. Kya is described as a hippie, who has a special relationship with Jinora.
- In the animatic, Korra is attacked by a spirit creature while in the South Pole. In the concept art, Korra will travel through a storm to find a glowing area reminiscent to the iceberg Aang was trapped in, which is related to Korra's spiritual journey.
6/28/12: Apologies for the site trouble lately! But the Korra finale has aired, and although season two is on its way to be animated, there's no word of when it will be ready to air. In the meantime, you can watch the episodes at Nick.com/korra if you're in the USA. In addition, the NickToons channel will be running a special event July 9 - July 20 called "Korra: Making of a Legend," which will have behind-the-scenes and creator commentary on the show! Info and video clip is at IGN.com.
Other news is that Dark Horse announced a new Avatar graphic novel series will be made to answer the burning fan question, Where's Ursa! Titled "The Search," it takes place immediately after The Promise Part 3 graphic novel and features Zuko and Azula on the search for their mom. The creative work continues to be by writer Gene Luen Yang and art by Gurihiru Studios, and there is an interview with Gene Yang here that discusses the new book and more. The Promise Part 3 comes out in September, and there is no date yet for The Search.
Site-wise, the Voice Acting and Crew Credits have been updated for episodes 10, 11, and 12, and the Links page is finally updated as well.
Nickelodeon's Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra, and all related images and characters are trademarks of Viacom International Inc., 2005. All rights reserved. This fansite has no affiliation with them and is run by Jade; all layouts and content is written by me unless otherwise stated.